Vita / Filmography
JULIAN VOGEL / AUTHOR & DIRECTOR
From 2009 until 2016 Julian studied documentary film making at Filmakademie Baden-Württemberg. In 2011 he studied one semester as an exchange student at La Fémis/Paris, where the fictional short DALILA was shot. In the same year, his documentary, TILMAN IN PARADISE was nominated for "best student documentary" at IDFA. From 2012 - 2016 he was holding a scholarship of the "Studienstiftung des Deutschen Volkes".
He started working as a freelance writer/director for TV in 2013 with PALAST and 16xDEUTSCHLAND: RHEINLAND-PFALZ being published on german TV.
In 2015, he shot a branded documentary for the airline SWISS which, together with 3 other films of the campaign SEATS FOR SWITZERLAND, won the ADC Switzerland Award in Gold.
In 2016, Julian completed his Diploma Film FLO'S PICTURES, an intimate portrait of the deceased father of his best friend. Since 2016 he's working as a freelance journalist for "Jäger & Sammler", a Grimme-award-nominated magazine by ARD and ZDF.
In 2017 Julian gave the documentary workshop "FILMING THE CITY!" at the "Historische Museum Frankfurt" in which citizens of Frankfurt realized 6 one minute silent documentaries.
In 2018 he continues to do educational work by leading the workshop "UNSER GALLUS UNSER LEBEN, UNSERE BILDER" in which young refugees and non-refugees produced documentary-shorts with their mobile phones.
In 2020 his radio-feature MÜNCHEN-NORDWEST airs in SWR2 radio, which deals with the perspective of people affected by a racist terror attack in Munich in 2016.
* 2nd PerSo - Perugia Social Film Fest 2016, Perugia / Italy - official competition - honorable mention
* LA Underground Film Forum 2017 - honorable mention
* broadcast on RBB and HR
* 25th Filmfest Dresden 2013 I official competition
* 14th Landshuter Kurzfilmfestival 2013 I official competition
* International Student Film Festival (FIFE) 2013 Casablanca / Morocco I official competition
* 1."OPEN PLACE" International Short Film Festival 2013, Rezekne/Letonia I official competition
* 11th Manlleu Film Festival 2013, Manlleu / Spain I official competition
* 28th Independent Film Fest Osnabrück 2013 I official competition
* "Le Jour le plus Court" 2014 I 29 screenings in different cinemas throughout france
* hotDOCS Canadian International Documentary Festival 2012 I official competition
* 13th Short Film Festival Landshut 2012 I Best Documentary
* 2nd Sandfly Film Festival 2012 I nominated for best film
* 28th Hamburg Short Film Festival I official competition
* 41th Sehsüchte International Student Film Festival 2012 I official competition
* IT'S ALL TRUE - International documentary film festival 2012 Brazil I official competition
* 2annas short film festival 2012 Riga /Letonia I official competition
* published as Video-On-Demand on spiegel.tv in 2015